Help students connect numerals with the quantities they represent.
Students diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder vary greatly in their ability to comprehend math. In many instances, these children are able to count objects or repeat the names of numerals. However, they may have difficulty grasping that a numeral is a symbol associated with a specific quantity. For example, the numeral 5 may represent five pennies, five pencils, five fingers, etc. To convey this fundamental principle, TouchMath places pictures of familiar objects or our signature TouchPoints on the numerals.
TouchPoints are mental manipulatives.
Our unique TouchPoints make it possible for people with disabilities to perform math functions essential for daily living and for academic accomplishment.
Follow the prescribed step-by-step process.
- TouchPoints serve as mental manipulatives for students who find concrete manipulatives cumbersome and distracting. With TouchPoints, students can remain focused on their papers.
- Counting on fingers and other improvised tactics can be inconsistent, inaccurate and condescending for older students. TouchPoints are portable, reliable and can be used in any setting for as long as needed.
- Test scores improve and guesswork is eliminated when students learn to visualize the TouchPoints on the numerals.
TouchMath is meticulously designed to introduce information in a sequential, scaffolded process. Step by careful step, students progress to more complex math skills at their own pace. They experience a personal sense of accomplishment and positive reinforcement from teachers and parents.
A student with an autistic spectrum disorder can be overwhelmed by a worksheet overloaded with math equations. Our pages are uncluttered, present a manageable number of problems, use large print and provide plenty of workspace.
Beginning with first-grade materials, we introduce visual cues that help with left/right directionality, reduce number reversals and reinforce place value.
The Teacher Training Program includes an updated Teacher Training Manual with expanded content and teaching tips, along with a brand-new comprehensive DVD that works in unison with the manual. The new DVD features:
The Training Program materials ensure that each participant has an interactive, multisensory learning experience. Participants will be learning the TouchMath approach in the same way they will later teach it to their students. The more involved you are, the more you will gain from the event. All materials are FREE and meant to be kept for later reference.
- A targeted, interactive menu so you can focus on what you need to know.
- Bonus computation steps for more advanced concepts.
- Student-teacher demos of the materials to help you maximize your implementation and instruction.
- Breakdown of the program's components and teacher guides, as well as information on the Common Core State Standards.
- Graphically-enhanced visuals that emphasize the importance and benefits of the program’s one-of-a-kind TouchPoints, visual cues, and step-by-strategy.
What participants receive:
Don't forget about your colleagues — have them join you and we'll send you a Thank You Gift! Remember to invite your colleagues to view the DVD with you. We'll send a training manual for each person and you will receive a free set of Student Number Cards when your group has 5 or more participants.
- A TouchMath Training DVD
- A full-color TouchMath Training Manual
- A link to download a free set of 20 TouchMath Activity Sheets
Fill out the form below to request your training materials.