About this Unit
This unit covers standards for grades K–3.
The goal of the TouchMath Standards Edition Upper Grades Addition and Subtraction 1 Unit is to build the concepts of and fluency with addition and subtraction within 20. This goal includes applying various strategies to operations, manipulating whole number relationships and place value, and understanding the base-ten system. The TouchMath approach focuses on the use of TouchPoints to associate numerals and quantities, which strengthens the understanding of number. The Application to Students with Disabilities in the standards reflects this approach: “Instructional supports for learning … foster student engagement by presenting information in multiple ways and allowing for diverse avenues of action and expression.”
Engaging activities are presented in an intentional sequence with attention to learning style, scaffolding of vocabulary, and pacing. The skills progress from counting and using TouchPoints to constructing the concepts of addition and subtraction by putting together and taking apart sets of objects. Computation is introduced naturally with a gradual presentation of multiple strategies. Properties of operations, place value, comparisons, unknowns, and word problems integrate into the activities to ensure application of the skills.
When students finish this unit, they should be able to add and subtract within 20 and demonstrate a firm foundation for work with more complex problems.
- Module 1: Forward Counting
- Module 2: Addition
- Module 3: Backward Counting
- Module 4: Subtraction
- Module 5: Fact Families
- Module 6: Place Value
- Module 7: Strategies
- Module 8: Mixed Addition and Subtraction
See how the Upper Grades Program meets or exceeds state standards.
- 200 reproducible student activity masters
- Spiral bound day-by-day C-R-A directed teacher’s guide
- Pre and post tests for each module
- Unit pretest, review, and post test
TouchMath Now Subscription Features
- Access to all content and materials across a 3-year subscription
- Content always up-to-date
- Digital print-on-demand access from any internet connected device
- Access to English and Spanish activity sheets
- Embedded page-by-page teacher guide instruction and color answer keys
- Downloadable progress monitoring
- Lesson planning folders
All subscriptions to TouchMath Now are a three-year term and begin upon purchase date. If you need a delayed start on your subscription term, please contact your Education Account Specialist.
TouchMath Print Edition Features
- Reproducible blackline student activity masters
- Spiral bound, full-color teacher’s guide
- Reproducible progress monitoring
- Storage box with module tabs
Teacher Guide Features
- All New for 2022
- Full color throughout for easy navigation and improved clarity.
- Page-by-page instruction and answer keys
- Instruction anchored in research-backed C-R-A principles
- Multisensory guided practice and discussion points
- Precise scope and sequence
- Real world examples and student engagement techniques
- Progress monitoring and lesson planning features
- Expanded with more content, redesigned in full-color